1. Hi Pau. You are a new trail runner in the Compressport family. Can you let us know a bit more about you (your sport background…) and how has been your 2014 season?
I am young and I started to race sky and ultra trail only 2 years ago. In 2013 I race 2 ultra trail and finished 2nd and 3rd respectively at Menorca and Collserola. Also I compete in shorter distances in order to run more and get more experience. In 2014, I focused on ultra trail, competing in the Catalunya Championship which I won thanks to 3 victories and a 3rd place.
I also competed and finished 2nd of Ultra Trail de Menorca (186km) and won Ultra Trail la Garrotxa. To prepare this Championship, I raced on shorter distance including MTBCN (Barcelona trail Marathon). I won each of those short races. 2014 has been great in terms of results. At the beginning of the season I just wanted to gain experience and had no real objectives. The sport is my passion and I love it, I think that is the reason why I had such a great season!
2. Why did you chose Compressport as racing and recovery gear partner? What benefits do you take from using Compressport products?
Compressport is a brand with a large range of products for all kind of sports to be used in training, during the race or for recovery. Compression is very important and efficient for the one racing with it. Indeed, the design of the product is very nice.
3. What Compressport products do you use in training/racing and recovery? Why?
I love Full Legs for recovery. They are very efficient and helps recovering better by improving blood circulation. In training, I use different products depending on the distance I have to do. I use R2 for short distances and Full Socks for long ones. I enjoy running with the Trail short which fits really well and gets the right compression around the quadriceps.
4. 2014 has been a good season for you. What are your objectives in 2015? What races do you plan on racing?
In 2015, I want to run with the best athletes in the world in order to learn from them. I will race Transgrancanaria Advanced, Ultra Mallorca, and Ultra Sierra Nevada. I will also compete in the Skyrunner Ultra Series including Transvulcania, Ultra de Somiedo and Ultra Pirineu. I will race CCC. The place is fantastic and ideal to live a unique experience. The distance and the landscape will offer unforgettable moments. My goals are a bit ambitious and to reach them I will go step by step, race after race. The most important thing is to enjoy each race and be proud of me at the end of the season.
5. How do you feel you participation to CCC this year ? (recognition of the race, preparation)… You will race CCC in August. How will you prepare for this race? Do you plan on going to Chamonix before the race to train on the course?
Yes. To prepare the race properly, I will do some training sessions on the race course, the last one during race week. My objective on CCC is to run each kilometer like if it was the last one and be able to finish with a smile on my face. I always do my best, but if I could make a top3, it would be really great.
6. You are young, but you race a lot. What are your best and worst memories in trail running (racing or training)?
The best memories I have in trail running is at Ultra Trail Menorca (186km). 22 hours of real suffering mixed with excitement and passion made it an incredible experience. The worst memories was at the last race of the Cataluña Championship. If I could not finish, I could not win the championship. During the race I got lost whereas I was running ahead. I was mentally completely blocked. I could find the right way to the finish line, but the fact to get lost, with no idea where I had to go, caused me a lot of stress.
Thank you Pau Capell for your time, we look forward to see you on podiums this year again !