Scientific answers to the 10 most common questions related to sport compression
A lot of pro athletes are using compression, but even if you are a beginner, compression will bring you the same benefits as pro athletes.
Here the scientific answers to the 10 most common questions related to sport compression
1. Will compression garments reduce delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS) During the effort the compression sleeves keep your muscle compact and solid. This limits the vibration (-33 %) caused by the impact of the foot leading to less lateral or vertical movement of your muscle and therefore less traction on tendon and muscle itself. Less shock during the effort means less muscle damage and consequently less DOMS during the recovery (-50 %).
2. Is it true that compression garments can reduce the pain associated with intense exercise? It is also recommended to wear your compression socks for a while longer after exercise, allowing your legs to benefit and recuperate optimally. Indeed muscles are considerably damaged from intense exercise and you continue to feel pain. Using the Compressport Full Socks or Full Legs you will save your legs from pain associated with intense exercise. They will provide you a great muscle support and you will feel lighter and mobile. Ready to play again
3. Will compression garments enhance endurance performance? The repetition of shocks during endurance exercise such as Trail Running or Marathon causes muscle damage andfatigue. Compression garments willhelp you by limiting vibration and absorbing the shocks (-33 %)! The fatigue will be delayed, the pain and micro-injuries will be reduced and you will be able to perform longer with a better global comfort.Thus you will be more resistant on the last kilometers of an endurance race when your competitors will slow down
My favorite product must be the calf sleeves as I was wearing them in all my races long before I was even sponsored by the brand. They just are simply the best calf sleeves you can use in a triathlon race. Kaisa Sali | 2 x Top 5 Ironman World Championship
4. Can Compression Clothing Enhance Your Workout? If you wear compression garments, you will feel the performance sensation at first glance. Compressport garments will help you during each training session to recover faster, to reduce pain (-50 %) and the risk of injuries (-29 %). Thus, day by day, your workouts will be improved as you will be ready perform again faster!
5. Can compression clothing make me a better athlete? Using compression clothing can make the difference with your competitors. Increasing your proprioceptive feedback and facilitating muscle contraction you will be able to jump higher and sprint faster. Compression clothing will also delay the fatigue felt by absorbing shocks and reducing muscle damage (-33 %). Thus you will be more resistant on the last kilometers of an endurance race. Keeping your muscle compact and solid compression also ensures less traction on tendon and muscle itself. This preserves you from many injuries such as tendonitis, shin split or muscular injuries (-29 %). Finally, improving the muscle oxygenation (+15 to +25 %) and accelerating the elimination of blood lactate (elimination is faster from 13 % after only 10 min), your body will recover faster.
6. Can compression garments facilitate recovery in the hours following intense exercise and reduce blood lactate concentrations? Muscle structures are considerably damaged from intense exercise. This affects blood circulation negatively: oxygen supply is hampered and drainage of lactic acid and other toxin stands still… Their concentration remains high in the muscle and may impair recovery and subsequent performances. That is why, you need to improve your blood flow circulation. Pressing on your veins compression socks activate your venous return (+20 % in few seconds) – like a pressure applied on the bottom of a tube of toothpaste causing the paste to rise outside the tube. This guarantees more oxygen for your muscle (+15 to +25 %), faster elimination of lactic acid and consequently better recovery (elimination of lactate is faster from 13 % after only 10 min). Ready to play again optimally!
7. Is wearing compression garments as effective as other recovery techniques? As many other techniques using compression during recovery is based on blood circulation activation. This guarantees more oxygen for your muscles (+15 to +25 %), faster elimination of lactic acid (-13 %) and therefore better recovery. But for sure compression presents other advantages that other do not have… 1/ it is more practical to use: it does not require bath or physiotherapist! 2/ you can use for a long time after exercise allowing your legs to benefit and recuperate optimally. 3/ you can mix with other: after water immersion, massage or electro stimulation.
8. Compression garments enhance proprioception. What does it mean? Compression improves your proprioceptive feedback! This provides a better balance which may help you in all sporting movements especially sprint and jump performances. Not convinced? Do your own experience. Close your eyes and extend one leg… Imagine your feet!? Visualized them!? Try to exactly situate them!? Difficult? Normal they are far from your brain. Now ask a friend to press on your feet. In one second it is easier to situate them… Right? Incredible! How does it work? Pressing on your feet, your friend activates some cutaneous and muscular receptors. The message goes up to the brain and you are able to feel better feedback! It is the same principle for Compressport garments designed to stimulate each proprioceptive receptors.
9. Do compression garments enhance explosive power such as vertical jump? Compression keeps your muscle compact and solid. This limits the vibration caused by the impact of the foot (-33 %) leading to less lateral or vertical movement of your muscle. Less muscle oscillation means better alignment of muscular fibre facilitating muscle contraction and consequently enhancement of explosive power such as vertical jump, sprint or direction changes.
10. Compression garments: Do they influence athletic performance and recovery? Compression garments may positively influence each kind of athletic performance! Increasing your proprioceptive feedback and facilitating muscle contraction all disciplines involving jumps, sprints and direction changes will be improved. Absorbing shocks (-33 %) and reducing muscle damage fatigue during endurance effort will be delayed. Improving aerodynamics (economy of 5 Watts) cycling performance will be enhanced. Accelerating blood circulation muscle oxygenation will be improved (+15 to +25 %), blood lactate will be faster eliminated (-13 %) and therefore recovery will be improved. Finally you will also be less injured using compression (-29 %)!